Monday, November 16, 2009

Color Unit Activities for Young Children

 
I love unit activities when the whole family gets to participate! This is how I included my younger children into our study on colors.

Some Ideas to try:

1. Print color flash cards on card stock. (I found mine at: http://www.ziggityzoom.com/activities.php?a=173 I liked these because the animals are very cute and they have the colors written so my oldest can learn the color sight words.) Have the children take turns picking out a color, naming it, and finding something in the room that is that color. (they enjoy this more than you might think!)

2. For your early readers: Make your own flash cards, using two cards for every color. Write the name of the color on one 3x5 card and color a circle on the second in that color. Play a matching game with the cards face up, and as the child gets very good at sight reading the words, flip the cards over and play a memory game.

3. Print out a simple color by number (I found mine at: http://www.makinglearningfun.com/themepages/TurkeyColorByNumber.htm I liked this because it is very simple and had many colors listed without the actual color on them so you have to read it. Also, it is almost Thanksgiving) Have the STUDENT read the color and find the appropriate number-does this count for math?

4. Have child pick out a color of their choice. Find pictures of that color in old magazines and cut them out, pasting them on a piece of cardstock for a color poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment